23rd International Conference
23rd International Conference of NELTA
15-17 February, 2018
Venue : Galaxy Public School, Gyaneshwor, Kathmandu
Theme: Content, Language and Technology: Perspectives and Prospects in ELT
- Teaching and Researching in English Language Education
- Evolving Theories and Innovative Practices in ELT
- Issues in 21st Century Pedagogy
- Blended ELT: Prospects and Promises
- Learner Engagement in EFL Classroom
- Mobile Technology and English Language Classroom
- Moving Forward: Digital ELT for the New Generation
- Reflective Pedagogy: Meeting the Needs of English Language Learners
- Multilingual English : New Innovations in ELT
- Re-conceptualizing ELT : Possibilities and Opportunities
- Globalization, Multiculturalism and Language Teaching
- Content, Curriculum and Connectivism
- Englishes in the Classrooms
- Input and Interaction in Language Teaching
- Classroom Management
- Teaching English in Difficult Circumstances
- English as a Medium of Instruction
- Innovations in Teaching and Learning
- Literature in Language Teaching
- The Methods and Post-method in ELT
- ICT in an EFL Classroom
- Critical Pedagogy in the Language Classroom
- Learner Autonomy
- Differentiated Instruction in an EFL Classroom
- Making English Language Learning Communicative
- Teacher’s Professional Development
- Authenticity in Teaching Learning Materials
- Alternative Assessment in EFL Classrooms
- Developing 21st Century Skills in ESL/EFL learners
- Contextualization of Foreign Language Teaching
- Home-grown Materials in ELT
- Native vs. non-native Teacher: Who is Native Anyway?
- Learning beyond the Classroom: Responding to Learning Strategies
- Celebrating Variety in a Language Classroom
- Linking Research and Classroom Teaching
- ELT in Disaster Recovery
- Creativity in the Language Classroom
- Improving Language Learning: Styles-and Strategies-Based Instruction
- Culture as the Core in the Second Language Classroom
- Developing Materials for Language Teaching
- Social Justice in English Language Teaching
- Language and Policy
- Language and Globalization
- "Excellence" in English Language Teaching
- English to Prepare for Lives
- Multilingually, Marginality and ELT
23rd NELTA International Conference 2018 accomplished!
The mega event of Nepal English Language Teachers' Association (NELTA), 23rd International Conference coincided with the organization’s 25th anniversary (Silver Jubilee), was accomplished with a huge success with the theme, “Content, Language, and Technology: Perspectives and Prospects in ELT” at Galaxy Public School, Gyaneshwor, Kathmandu, from 15 to 17 February, 2018 (3 days).
More than 1000 participants, presenters, and dignitaries from 17 countries participated in the conference, including the four Key Speakers: Dr. Maggie Sokolik, the USA, Prof. Richard Smith, the UK, Prof. Dr. S. Mohanraj, and Prof. Dr. Paul Gunashekar from India, with twelve Plenary Speakers: Dr. David Perrodin, Thailand, Dr. Ram Ashish Giri, Australia, Dr. Richmond Stroupe, Japan, Dr. Seetha Lakshmi, Singapore, Prof. Dr. Vishnu Sing Rai, Prof. Dr. Anand Sharma, Mr. Hemanta Raj Dahal from Nepal, Prof. Dr. Z N Patil, India, Ms. Rhona Brown, British Council, Nepal, Mr. Biswha Raj Gautam, RELO Specialist, the US Embassy, including Key Speakers Dr. Sokolik and Dr. Smith.
The inaugural ceremony was chaired by Ms. Motikala Subba Dewan, the President of NELTA and conducted by Mr. Ishwari Bahadur Adhikari, General Secretary, NELTA. The honorable Chief Minister Mr. Dormani Poudel inaugurated the conference as a Chief Guest. There were 177 concurrent sessions, workshops and poster presentations on the theme and sub-themes. A panel discussion was also conducted on the burning topic of Nepal, “English in Federal Education: When and How?” moderated by Mr. Ganga Ram Gautam, Advisor to NELTA with the panelists: Dr. Lava Deo Awasthi, Chief of Language Commission, the Government of Nepal, Prof. Dr. Yogendra Yadava, Expert in Multilingual Education including Key Speakers Dr. Sokolik, Prof. Smith, Prof. Dr. S. Mohanraj. There were simultaneous events like; Interactive Language Fair, NELTA Social Event, NELTA ELT Tech Network, Meeting with RELO funded participants and distribution of certificates of the Webinar and E-teacher courses, Meeting with branches on the serious issue of sustainability, and the AGM.
To mark the Silver Jubilee Year of NELTA, 2018, six host Schools of NELTA conferences in the past, Founding Members and Past Presidents of NELTA, Editors-in Chief, all the Sponsors, Key Partners, Publishing Houses, Educational Institutions, Travel Agencies, and Hotels from home and abroad were felicitated.
There was book exhibition by the courtesy of International Publication Houses, Local Publishers, Colleges and Educational Institutions with their promotional presentation and display. Receptions were also arranged for the delegates and presenters by the British Council, U.S. Embassy, NELTA, Alfa-Beta, Galaxy Public Schools during the conference.
Thank you, Madam Geeta Rana, Madam Surina S. Gurung and the entire Galaxy Public School Family for being supportive and providing a grand platform and opportunities for sharing, networking, and learning for the English teachers from primary to university level to make a big success of mega event of NELTA International Conference 2018, at your premises.
Some Glimpses of the program: